Second Missionary Baptist Church was orgaized March 10, 1922 by a council of ministers from Detroit, MI in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Luvert Covington.
The Rev. J. C. Mckibbon was ordained and installed as the first pastor of the church and soon after resigned.
1922-1924 Rev. D.P. Broax was called to serve. In 1923, the church became an independent institution and was incorporated in 1924.
1924-1925 Rev. G.L. Miles was called, and plans were outlined to purchase a lot and build the church. After the basement was completed at 322 Conant Avenue, services were held there. Rev. Miles resigned in 1925.
1925-1929 Rev. J. W. White was called to pastor. During that time the church cornerstone was laid, the building was completed and the in 1926 the dedication service was held.
Between 1926 and 1966, there were eight pastors who came to serve. During that time, the mortgage was burned, the pulpit furniture and piano were purchased, pews, baptistery, choir room, and office were all accomplished. January of 1952, W. J. Pittman was called and served ten years. During his administration, a dining room was built, and a lot was purchased for the extension of the church. In 1965, Rev. Nathan H. Staples was called to serve. Within his time as pastor, the basement bathroom fixtures and cabinets were installed, and the church grew spiritually and financially. In October of 1966, Rev. J.C. Jones and his family came to Monroe and joined the church where he served as the education advisor. After the death of Pastor Staples, Rev. Jones was called to pastor in August of 1967.
On June 23, 1974 the present location of 501 Clark Street was purchased. The church congregation along with Pastor Jones, Deacon Philpot and Rev. Alfred Overstreet marched from Second Missionary Baptist on Conant Avenue to the new location on Clark Street. The mortgage was burned three months premature on November 22, 1981.
March 1991-June 1992 Rev. James R. Overton of Toledo, OH served.
June 1993-2004 Rev. Carl J. Curry of Detroit, MI served.
2005-2018 Rev. Allen Overton of Flint, MI was called to serve. Under his leadership, the sanctuary, classrooms and fellowship hall were renovated. He also initiated a new parking lot and established the Mother Willie E. Dickerson Memorial Scholarship for college bound students.
On June 10, 2019 Rev. Terrence L. Johnson was called to serve this historic church. Under his
administration, he initiated Debt $333 to pay off the parking lot by 2022. He has introduced technology based Christian Education, commissioned a youth minister and established workforce training within the youth ministry. During the Covid-19 pandemic, Pastor Johnson and his administration continued ministry online, as well as biweekly food giveaways and COVID-19 testing for Monroe and surrounding areas. Under this administration, the first woman deacon was affirmed, and the Second Missionary Baptist Church Essential Women’s Ministry was established.
TO GOD BE THE GLORY FOR ALL OF THE THINGS HE HAS DONE!